Dexter

Talk about almost anything you want!

Re: Dexter

Postby lessthanthree » Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:18 pm

I'm starting to think (and actually I did think it also around seasons 1 + 2) that Dexter is not actually a psychopath in the strictest sense - he clearly does have emotion and the capacity to love. He did love Rita, he clearly loves Deb (and not just for selfish reasons like Vogel says) and obviously he loves Harrison. So what if they're setting up that he isn't actually a psychopath and Vogel basically planted that idea and the code in Harry's mind as an experiment?

Also tonight's episode was the first where we saw anything with the Brain Surgeon actually happen to Vogel - the other times, she's told Dexter that she got packages or someone was in her house but we never actually saw it. It made me think she is in fact the killer (and the hands holding the camera in the Sussman video look kind of small and maybe feminine?) I'm not sure if showing her discover the packages is supposed to prove she's not or if it's a red herring but I don't trust her!
lessthanthree

Postby xOnxMyxOwnx » Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:09 am

I agree with Dexter not being a true psychopath. Because you're right. He does show emotion and love. I think Vogel created The Code as an experiment on Dexter and it kind of got out of control-which is why Harry killed himself. I doubt Vogel's intent was to have Dexter grow up and be a killer. I think Vogel's realized that and she's now trying to rehabilitate him. Although it's not going to work if she continues to keep Dexter and Deb apart.

Even after last week's episode, I still don't trust Vogel (even is she is trying to "help" Dexter). Obviously she's not the Brain Surgeon, but there's still something about her. There's definitely more to her than what's been shown so far.
Hedley shows to date: 15
xOnxMyxOwnx
Hedley Ambassador

Postby xOnxMyxOwnx » Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:24 am

I hate not being able to edit posts anymore....

But I just noticed something about this season. There hasn't been any dialogue between Dexter and Harry. Unless it happened in the first episode and I completely missed it! I just think that's kind of weird.
xOnxMyxOwnx
Hedley Ambassador

Postby lessthanthree » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:12 am

There was a bit between them in the first episode, when he didn't know where Deb was. It definitely hasn't been much though!

Maybe Vogel's experiment wasn't to make him a killer but I do kind of wonder - she subjected other patients to brain surgery to "cure" them of psychopathology, maybe she wanted to see if she could CREATE a psychopath like she could "cure" it? I don't know, just a wild theory, but I definitely do not trust her!

The two most recent episodes have been intense though! It's weird that Deb is kind of maybe getting used to the idea that Dexter is a serial killer, like, is it going to be a family thing now? lol
lessthanthree

Postby xOnxMyxOwnx » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:53 pm

I could see the series ending with Dexter realizing he's not a "monster" and that his whole life was just an experiment of sorts. Deb will be the person to "cure" him. I dunno. It's just my theory on how things will end for the show.

I still don't trust Vogel either. Like why would she suddenly show up and insert herself into Dexter's life after all these years? It's just weird.
xOnxMyxOwnx
Hedley Ambassador

Postby xOnxMyxOwnx » Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:46 pm

Uhm.
What was with that finale?

I enjoyed it, but that was definitely NOT the ending I was expecting! It didn't end the way that I was hoping.

It's going to be weird not watching Dexter on Sundays anymore :(
At least Netflix has the first 6 seasons :P
xOnxMyxOwnx
Hedley Ambassador

Postby lessthanthree » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:00 am

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaated that ending!

Should've ended about 3 minutes earlier than it did.

I didn't need, expect, or want a happy ending.

But that ending was so... wrong, for the character, the show, everything.
lessthanthree

Postby xOnxMyxOwnx » Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:54 am

Ya, the ending was kind of dumb. I think it should have ended when they showed Dexter's boat broken in the water.
I'm still upset over Deb dying. Like what a plot twist that was!
xOnxMyxOwnx
Hedley Ambassador

Postby lessthanthree » Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:46 pm

I suspected that'd happen, but to have her about to pull through and then take a turn for the worse was a surprise!

I did like though that Dexter's "last kill" was one done out of love and respect for Deb, though. That was nice, and also proved that he does have legitimate feelings (which we all knew!).
lessthanthree

Postby xOnxMyxOwnx » Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:02 pm

With the way they ended the series, do you think they'll do a spin-off series or a movie?
xOnxMyxOwnx
Hedley Ambassador

Postby ashbee03 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:03 pm

xOnxMyxOwnx wrote:With the way they ended the series, do you think they'll do a spin-off series or a movie?

I just finished watching the entire series on Netflix, and it was TOO awesome.
I think they probably ended it like that so they COULD have the options open for a possible spin-off, or movie.
And if they don't, it still leaves the ending to anyone's imagination.
ashbee03
Hedley Ambassador

Postby xOnxMyxOwnx » Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:14 am

ashbee03 wrote:
xOnxMyxOwnx wrote:With the way they ended the series, do you think they'll do a spin-off series or a movie?

I think they probably ended it like that so they COULD have the options open for a possible spin-off, or movie.

All the seasons are on Netflix now?
Not that it matters, since I have the DVD box set :P

I was reading some articles a few weeks ago, and the producers were saying a spin-off isn't out of the question. If MCH wants to do a spin-off, then they will.
It's all up to him, I guess.
xOnxMyxOwnx
Hedley Ambassador

Postby ashbee03 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:48 pm

xOnxMyxOwnx wrote:
ashbee03 wrote:

All the seasons are on Netflix now?
Not that it matters, since I have the DVD box set :P

I was reading some articles a few weeks ago, and the producers were saying a spin-off isn't out of the question. If MCH wants to do a spin-off, then they will.
It's all up to him, I guess.

I hope he does.
He is great in it, and I would love to see what happens next!
A spin-off would be a hit I think.
ashbee03
Hedley Ambassador

Postby kate1013 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:02 am

I finally just finished the series.
I agree with what you all are saying about the ending being a bit of a let down.
I think that it either should have ended with the boat pieces OR when Hannah sees the newspaper article.

It really pulled at my heart strings when Deb died... though, I figured for the finale someone was going to die.
When she told Quinn that she loved him, that to me seemed like she wasn't going to make it.

Most times when I watch a show, I want there to be a happy ending, where everything comes full circle, or the characters are at peace, something...
I do understand however why they chose the route they did with showing Dexter at the end, alone and miserable, the mood did fit the overall series.
Hedley Shows To Date: 32
kate1013
Hedley Ambassador

Postby xOnxMyxOwnx » Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:07 am

I agree with you Kate about the ending.
It was a let down, but I guess at the same time, it leaves it open for a possible spin off.
Plus the producers had no intentions of killing Dexter. So they couldn't really end the series with Dexter's broken boat or the newspaper article.

I was shocked when Deb died. I was even more shocked when she died because of Dexter. I mean I totally understand why he did it, though. She would have been brain dead had she awoken. As I felt throughout the entire season, Dexter WAS capable of showing emotion and him pulling Deb off life support just confirmed that. So in the end, was he a TRUE sociopath? I don't know. Maybe early on he was. But as time went on, his shell was breaking and his true human self was exposed.
xOnxMyxOwnx
Hedley Ambassador

PreviousNext

Return to Other Shiz