University/College

Talk about almost anything you want!
Taylor.
Hedley Ambassador

Re: University/College

Post by Taylor. » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:44 pm

Yea, I mean, if it's something you love then definitely go for it. Just don't work with 92.9 The Bull in Saskatoon haha.

kate1013
Hedley Ambassador

Post by kate1013 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:01 am

Taylor. wrote:Yea, I mean, if it's something you love then definitely go for it. Just don't work with 92.9 The Bull in Saskatoon haha.

Haha okay good to know !
That's one radio station I'll avoid ;) :P
Hedley Shows To Date: 32

jude
Meloman

Post by jude » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:53 pm

I'm in Saint John. Do they have a location for it?
change the world with your smile, don't let the world change your smile

dani
Hedley Ambassador

Post by dani » Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:32 pm

The horrible moment when a big fat package from UTSC shows up in the mail and it turns out it's just another acknowledgement package :'(
I mean you sent me all this stuff back in December via email, you don't have to kill all these trees to send me the same info in February when you're supposed to start sending acceptances!!!
♥ At least we did it our way, and learned the hard way, it's all that these scars say ♥

Jessica
Groupie

Post by Jessica » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:23 pm

I'm SO swamped the next 2 weeks! they give us a Feb break to catch up on everything..."reading/suicide week", whatever you prefer... but I don't have ANYTHING DUE after February 17. I have one damn quiz and one reading response that isn't worth marks due, and then its just finals. I do, however, have 3 midterms and 3 papers due by the 15th. Which wouldn't be so bad, if I'd have gotten the topics for the papers sooner than today. ARGH!

kate1013
Hedley Ambassador

Post by kate1013 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:40 am

jude wrote:I'm in Saint John. Do they have a location for it?

I believe that they are in the process of making one. It'll probably be up in the summer of fall. I'd have to get more details from my aunt though.

Robin
Hedley Ambassador

Post by Robin » Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:17 pm

Radio is usully pretty shit pay. Unless you're Ryan Seacrest. haha. I know quiiittteeee a few people in radio alllll over the country, and while they generally enjoy their jobs, most of them do have to work a second job to suuport their lifestyle. My friend works two full time, one in radio, and one... kind of part time I guess, he only works once or twice every two weeks. But his wife can't work and they have three kids. Not to say he dislikes it, at all. But. It all depends.
Sometimes people can be real assholes, from what I've heard it's like a cycle- you're treated like shit starting out, then as son as you get to a higher position you kinda subconciously treat new people like shit, whether you realize it or not.
If you're a female in radio, it's more likely you'll get hit on and harrassed if you're new. Especially if they think you're hot.

I'm just going off of what I've been told. Take it with a grain of salt. I personally think that aside from the aforementioned, it'd be a fantastic job, and I've totally thought about it.

<3 A Jakes Girl
<3 A Mother Effin Dave's Girl
<3 Post Whore
<3 'Stache Lover
<3 Harry Fan Club

http://headed-for-disaster.blogspot.com/

kate1013
Hedley Ambassador

Post by kate1013 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:02 am

Robin wrote:Radio is usully pretty shit pay. Unless you're Ryan Seacrest. haha. I know quiiittteeee a few people in radio alllll over the country, and while they generally enjoy their jobs, most of them do have to work a second job to suuport their lifestyle. My friend works two full time, one in radio, and one... kind of part time I guess, he only works once or twice every two weeks. But his wife can't work and they have three kids. Not to say he dislikes it, at all. But. It all depends.
Sometimes people can be real assholes, from what I've heard it's like a cycle- you're treated like shit starting out, then as son as you get to a higher position you kinda subconciously treat new people like shit, whether you realize it or not.
If you're a female in radio, it's more likely you'll get hit on and harrassed if you're new. Especially if they think you're hot.

I'm just going off of what I've been told. Take it with a grain of salt. I personally think that aside from the aforementioned, it'd be a fantastic job, and I've totally thought about it.

Thank you for your input Robin. I'll be talking to my contacts that I have around here to see what they have to say about radio too.
I just think it would be a fantasticly fun job and something I know I'd enjoy on so many levels. The pay does play a part in my decision making BUT we'll jump off that bridge when we come to it.

dani
Hedley Ambassador

Post by dani » Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:49 am

kate1013 wrote:
Robin wrote:Radio is usully pretty shit pay. Unless you're Ryan Seacrest. haha. I know quiiittteeee a few people in radio alllll over the country, and while they generally enjoy their jobs, most of them do have to work a second job to suuport their lifestyle. My friend works two full time, one in radio, and one... kind of part time I guess, he only works once or twice every two weeks. But his wife can't work and they have three kids. Not to say he dislikes it, at all. But. It all depends.

Thank you for your input Robin. I'll be talking to my contacts that I have around here to see what they have to say about radio too.
I just think it would be a fantasticly fun job and something I know I'd enjoy on so many levels. The pay does play a part in my decision making BUT we'll jump off that bridge when we come to it.

My cousin's wife's sister works for CHUM and she really likes it cuz she gets to do all the talent and promotions stuff, but i don't think she went to school for radio. I think she did some sort of media program, but im not 100% sure...?
♥ At least we did it our way, and learned the hard way, it's all that these scars say ♥

kate1013
Hedley Ambassador

Post by kate1013 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:21 am

I go today to Saint John for the meeting at the school. I'm pretty excited about it, I'm just trying to find out as much as I can before I make my decision.

kate1013
Hedley Ambassador

Post by kate1013 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:36 am

The school was pretty impressive it seems like it would be really fun and interesting to go there.
The max students they are willing to take per course is 10. & right now this year they only have a class size of 5 for broadcasting.
It's going to cost about 13,000 for everything. I know it's something that I'd really love doing and I know I could do well in it but it's just a matter of having to move. There is no way I'd be able to commute all the way there every day it's like an hour and a half away and I'd be going there Monday - Friday 9am - 4pm. I'd need to get an apartment and try to maintain a job at the same time to pay for my food and rent. (as they don't have dorms for this school) OR I might be able to live with my aunt in Grand Bay Westfield which isn't very far from Atlantica. URG. Idk what to do. I just feel like at the age of 18/19 I'm not ready to move and live on my own. PLUS if I did go to Saint John for school.. chances are I'd need to LIVE there after the 40 weeks of schooling to get a job at the wave or something as there aren't many radio stations in Fredericton. Sigh. :(

julia_
Guru

Post by julia_ » Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:28 pm

I just got accepted to a master's program in Scotland. I AM THE HAPPIEST. I finished my application last night, and this morning I had an offer... so crazy! I'm still waiting on some other universities before I make up my mind but it's nice to know that I am definitely moving back to the UK in September! Not to mention I have spent the past 3 months stressing hardcore about grad school applications, so it's nice to know that all those tears didn't go to waste haha.

Jessica
Groupie

Post by Jessica » Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:13 pm

julia_ wrote:I just got accepted to a master's program in Scotland. I AM THE HAPPIEST. I finished my application last night, and this morning I had an offer... so crazy! I'm still waiting on some other universities before I make up my mind but it's nice to know that I am definitely moving back to the UK in September! Not to mention I have spent the past 3 months stressing hardcore about grad school applications, so it's nice to know that all those tears didn't go to waste haha.

Congratulations!!

dani
Hedley Ambassador

Post by dani » Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:36 pm

Jessica wrote:
julia_ wrote:I just got accepted to a master's program in Scotland. I AM THE HAPPIEST. I finished my application last night, and this morning I had an offer... so crazy! I'm still waiting on some other universities before I make up my mind but it's nice to know that I am definitely moving back to the UK in September! Not to mention I have spent the past 3 months stressing hardcore about grad school applications, so it's nice to know that all those tears didn't go to waste haha.

Congratulations!!

WOOOOOOOOOOOO! awesome news!

felish1992
Hedley Ambassador

Post by felish1992 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:26 pm

dani wrote:
Jessica wrote:

Congratulations!!

WOOOOOOOOOOOO! awesome news!

yay that's awesome! :D
Find a way to smile, and never let it get away
19 Hedley shows to date <3