<3 'Stache Lover
<3 Harry Fan Club

http://headed-for-disaster.blogspot.com/

dani
Hedley Ambassador

Re: University/College

Post by dani » Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:06 pm

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
♥ At least we did it our way, and learned the hard way, it's all that these scars say ♥

Robin
Hedley Ambassador

Post by Robin » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:44 pm

^I know!
Much more excited for grad now, between that and finding a dress :P

<3 A Jakes Girl
<3 A Mother Effin Dave's Girl
<3 Post Whore
<3 'Stache Lover
<3 Harry Fan Club

http://headed-for-disaster.blogspot.com/

jude
Meloman

Post by jude » Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:53 pm

So I'm kind of excited. A girl from my class messaged me today and asked if I would help her in school, to which I said of course. Then she let me know that she had asked our instructors to help her find a tutor, and that I would get paid (for something I would have just done anyway, but I am so much less than broke that I will not refuse money for it). So not only did I get myself a job, but I got myself a job that won't take away from my school work, and it sounds to me like my teachers recommended me!
change the world with your smile, don't let the world change your smile

julia_
Guru

Post by julia_ » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:44 pm

grad school personal statements = THE BANE OF MY EXISTENCE.

kate1013
Hedley Ambassador

Post by kate1013 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:35 am

I'm torn between Easter College where I would study to become a Medical Adminstrative Assistant. & then a school in Saint John called Atlantica College and I would study to become a radio broadcaster. My heart is more into the Radio Broadcasting I think it's more me and something I'd LOVE to do, but I'm not sure if it's something that would guarintee me a job.
Hedley Shows To Date: 32

wintergreen
Groupie

Post by wintergreen » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:49 am

kate1013 wrote:I'm torn between Easter College where I would study to become a Medical Adminstrative Assistant. & then a school in Saint John called Atlantica College and I would study to become a radio broadcaster. My heart is more into the Radio Broadcasting I think it's more me and something I'd LOVE to do, but I'm not sure if it's something that would guarintee me a job.

I know in the broadcasting program here, they start with like 200 students and only 60 or something make it into second year (or so I've been told). I considered doing TV broadcasting when I was first looking into college, because I volunteered at Rogers TV for a few years and loved it.

I think Medical Admin Assistant would be cool.. it's something I've considered. I think there are more job opportunities, but unless you like desk work, it wouldn't be as fun. (I love desk work so I'd love it, haha)

jude
Meloman

Post by jude » Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:13 pm

I do some more research into job possibilities before decided on something, Kate. I know at NBCC they actually have stats on the probability of getting a job after graduating from whatever course, it even breaks it down into jobs in NB and jobs elsewhere. There should be stats, either at the college or at the Work Room at your high school (yes, I know you're not in high school anymore, but the Work Room is open to the community).

It's kind of a sin how they will take so many people and train them for a job when there are no jobs in that field to be had. Example, teachers. So many people are getting into the education programs here in NB and graduating when people are have been in the field for 5 years still don't have steady jobs. It's insane.

wintergreen
Groupie

Post by wintergreen » Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:26 pm

jude wrote:It's kind of a sin how they will take so many people and train them for a job when there are no jobs in that field to be had. Example, teachers. So many people are getting into the education programs here in NB and graduating when people are have been in the field for 5 years still don't have steady jobs. It's insane.

The teacher thing blows my mind. I work at Kumon Math & Reading Centre, and we have some actual legit teachers working for us, working less than 10 hours a week, making about minimum wage. We just had one girl leave because she finally got on the supply list.

felish1992
Hedley Ambassador

Post by felish1992 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:24 pm

kate1013 wrote:I'm torn between Easter College where I would study to become a Medical Adminstrative Assistant. & then a school in Saint John called Atlantica College and I would study to become a radio broadcaster. My heart is more into the Radio Broadcasting I think it's more me and something I'd LOVE to do, but I'm not sure if it's something that would guarintee me a job.

My mom is going through to be a medical office assistant right now and she loves it, but It is a lot of work. You have to take anatomy and have really good grades.
Find a way to smile, and never let it get away
19 Hedley shows to date <3

kate1013
Hedley Ambassador

Post by kate1013 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:48 pm

Thanks for all of the feedback ladies.
I think for me doing the Medical Admin would be the "safety net" because I know there are more jobs AND I could get a job close to where I live.

Getting into radio or tv broadcasting would be my DREAM and it's something I'm VERY interested in but I wanted to give myself time after high scool to get used to the idea of leaving home for it. Atlantica centre for arts in the only school in the maritimes that specializes in radio & tv broadcasting and that's about an hour and a half away from where I live. I know that I could probably live with my aunt and uncle and I could work at their "soon to be open pita pit" so that's a bonus.

I just scheduled an appointment for Monday evening to take a tour of the school and hear more about it. I really hope that I can just get some piece of mind. I'm scared to death to get into something that isn't going to work and waste my time and money. I want to find out how much one would get paid being in the radio and/or tv business. I just think it would be awesome being able to listen to music all day and take requests and give out prizes. It would be AWESOME.

jude
Meloman

Post by jude » Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:12 pm

Wait, we're getting a Pita Pit? Where?!

Taylor.
Hedley Ambassador

Post by Taylor. » Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:58 pm

My brother worked with a radio station here for a while, and I'll tell you a few things.
-They turned out to be complete asses to him and told him to go to radio school before coming back - before his contract was up!
-The Weatern Broadcasting Academy or w/e we have here guarantees you a job, but it could be in a small town, and you have to be prepared to move. A friend of mine just finished schooling through it and got a job in Weyburn - a city of 10,000 people and 4 hours away. They gave her 2 weeks to move there before she starts.
-Pretty sure radio broadcasters don't make very much. I think a lot of the people that my brother worked with had another job.

My brother was going to go to radio school, but after his experience, there is absolutely no chance he'll ever pursuit that.

Emma
Guru

Post by Emma » Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:14 pm

Taylor. wrote:My brother worked with a radio station here for a while, and I'll tell you a few things.
-They turned out to be complete asses to him and told him to go to radio school before coming back - before his contract was up!
-The Weatern Broadcasting Academy or w/e we have here guarantees you a job, but it could be in a small town, and you have to be prepared to move. A friend of mine just finished schooling through it and got a job in Weyburn - a city of 10,000 people and 4 hours away. They gave her 2 weeks to move there before she starts.
-Pretty sure radio broadcasters don't make very much. I think a lot of the people that my brother worked with had another job.

My brother was going to go to radio school, but after his experience, there is absolutely no chance he'll ever pursuit that.

I job shadowed at a 'popular Toronto radio station' for a day and 1 or 2 people were nice but in general, they were assholes, and then one guy slept with my 16-year old friend who came with me and he was like 35. Which I find weird. Sleeping with high school girls who job shadow where you work.

BUT! Job shadowing there did help me decide that I was interested in all the 'stuff' that you have to do when you're on the air (answering calls, recording them, editing the clips with only 45seconds until you need to air them, making a song list/working with the list you're given, introducing songs in the exact amount of time you have, etc.) so if you really, really find that stuff interesting I think it's worth it to pursue. I got accepted to Niagara for radio and Fanshawe for radio and in the end, I didn't choose either program becauuuuse I'm doing my music thaaaang. But I think I would have been happy if I had chosen one of them too.
<3emma

kate1013
Hedley Ambassador

Post by kate1013 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:34 pm

Thanks for all of the help girls ! It means a lot to be able to hear your say on it.

Jude - where do you live? Moncton? I know that Fredericton has two or 3 Pita pits right now. & my aunt and uncle are opening a pita pit in Saint John and I believe my other aunt (my aunts are twins) is going to try and open one in Halifax too. They already put their bids in and everything and were accepted. They want to make it a family business kinda thing.

I know a few of the announcers on our radio stations and they are really nice and not stuck up at all. I'd try for something either in Fredericton or Saint John if I went the broadcasting route. I think it would be really fun. I know that the medical field has really good pay, so I guess it really just depends on what I want. I think it would be neat to do interviews with music people and introduce them in concert.

Paula from 106.9 introduced Lights when she came to Fredericton and I remember when Hedley used to come to Saint John the 97.3 announcer introduced Hedley. & like LIVE on location is really neat too. I just think it would be a really fun job.