University/College

Talk about almost anything you want!
dani
Hedley Ambassador

Re: University/College

Post by dani » Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:18 pm

Where else did you look Felicia?

I was kinda looking at Trent, but i'm not too fond of the idea of moving to Peterborough. So far Scarborough and Guelph are looking like my best bets...
♥ At least we did it our way, and learned the hard way, it's all that these scars say ♥

felish1992
Hedley Ambassador

Post by felish1992 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:35 pm

dani wrote:Where else did you look Felicia?

I was kinda looking at Trent, but i'm not too fond of the idea of moving to Peterborough. So far Scarborough and Guelph are looking like my best bets...

well I had applied to Trent, Brock and laurier, but those were all for teaching. I applied to arts and science for Queens and had decided teaching was something I didn't want to go into.
Find a way to smile, and never let it get away
19 Hedley shows to date <3

dani
Hedley Ambassador

Post by dani » Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:35 pm

Ah cool, that makes sense i guess :D
♥ At least we did it our way, and learned the hard way, it's all that these scars say ♥

alyssa!
Groupie

Post by alyssa! » Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:59 pm

The uni where I live has been on strike for 26 days now... I feel sorry for those students!
~Hey it's just another Saturday...

Tara
Fan

Post by Tara » Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:53 pm

Shayla, we actually had the conversation about photography vs. graphic design in class yesterday! I'm in my 2nd/final year of Graphic Design now btw haha.
My instructor, who is a professional photographer, was at a conference in Toronto last week and he was talking to one of his photographer friends and they both agreed that having design to fall back on was a good idea. Being able to use your own photography in your design work is great too because then when you get clients and what your working on needs photography, you wouldn't have to bother with finding a photographer to do that (even though you would bill the client for the photographer anyway). You can easily just shoot the stuff yourself and wouldn't have to worry about the photographer not meeting the deadline, or being over your budget or anything.
As far as schools go, I don't know how you feel about NL (and it's understandable if you wouldn't want to come all this way hahaha) but my two year program costs me approx. $3,630 total for tuition which is $726 a semester for 4 semesters, and $363 for two half semesters (so it's pretty much 5 semesters in total) which is a pretty sweet deal if you ask me. And we don't have to buy all that many books so it stays fairly cheap in comparison to places off the island.

shayla
Hedley Ambassador

Post by shayla » Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:26 am

Tara wrote:Shayla, we actually had the conversation about photography vs. graphic design in class yesterday! I'm in my 2nd/final year of Graphic Design now btw haha.
My instructor, who is a professional photographer, was at a conference in Toronto last week and he was talking to one of his photographer friends and they both agreed that having design to fall back on was a good idea. Being able to use your own photography in your design work is great too because then when you get clients and what your working on needs photography, you wouldn't have to bother with finding a photographer to do that (even though you would bill the client for the photographer anyway). You can easily just shoot the stuff yourself and wouldn't have to worry about the photographer not meeting the deadline, or being over your budget or anything.
As far as schools go, I don't know how you feel about NL (and it's understandable if you wouldn't want to come all this way hahaha) but my two year program costs me approx. $3,630 total for tuition which is $726 a semester for 4 semesters, and $363 for two half semesters (so it's pretty much 5 semesters in total) which is a pretty sweet deal if you ask me. And we don't have to buy all that many books so it stays fairly cheap in comparison to places off the island.

That DOES sound like a reaaalllyy good price! Much better than 36 thousand......What school is that?
I was just thinking though that wherever I go, I'll have to pay rent and live on my own and stuff which sucks. So many people come to Saskatoon for school, because we do have good programs, just not really for the arts and stuff :( It seems dumb to move from here to go to school. There is the one graphic design school but I've heard its not good but I may check into it just to see...so i can stay at home and not worry about rent and such. Blah
DC crew <33

Tara
Fan

Post by Tara » Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:52 pm

shayla wrote:
Tara wrote:Shayla, we actually had the conversation about photography vs. graphic design in class yesterday! I'm in my 2nd/final year of Graphic Design now btw haha.

That DOES sound like a reaaalllyy good price! Much better than 36 thousand......What school is that?
I was just thinking though that wherever I go, I'll have to pay rent and live on my own and stuff which sucks. So many people come to Saskatoon for school, because we do have good programs, just not really for the arts and stuff :( It seems dumb to move from here to go to school. There is the one graphic design school but I've heard its not good but I may check into it just to see...so i can stay at home and not worry about rent and such. Blah

College of the North Atlantic.
http://www.cna.nl.ca
They only accept 16 people though and there's a wait list haha.

Jessica
Groupie

Post by Jessica » Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:45 pm

I completely changed my life plan again. Got a huge reality check the other day! And, need to go bitch at the Psychology advisors for giving me bunk information.
that being said, I have switched to Education. again. haha!

is anyone else having the same problems I've been having?? choosing a major, picking a life path.. I feel like I've switched my mind a hundred billion times since I graduated highschool 2 years ago

raine
Guru

Post by raine » Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:42 am

Jessica wrote:I completely changed my life plan again. Got a huge reality check the other day! And, need to go bitch at the Psychology advisors for giving me bunk information.

is anyone else having the same problems I've been having?? choosing a major, picking a life path.. I feel like I've switched my mind a hundred billion times since I graduated highschool 2 years ago

I only graduated June 2010 but I've been having a hell of a time deciding what direction to go in, too. I had pretty much spent the last 4 or 5 years dead set on outreach social work, it's really personal and important to me and I know I'd be good at it (not to sound conceited) since I've had social workers my whole life.
On the other hand I took an introductory course to archaeology last year and fell in absolutely blissful love. Now I'm already taking 3rd year courses in it, but what sucks is that there's very little job opportunity for that, other than teaching it at University : ( So I'm completely torn between two things that I'm really passionate over, for so many different reasons. It sucks.

Why are we expected to know what we want to do for the rest of our lives when I can't even successfully take care of a plant? And I may or may not still sleep with a night light.

Jessica
Groupie

Post by Jessica » Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:21 am

raine wrote:
Jessica wrote:I completely changed my life plan again. Got a huge reality check the other day! And, need to go bitch at the Psychology advisors for giving me bunk information.

I only graduated June 2010 but I've been having a hell of a time deciding what direction to go in, too. I had pretty much spent the last 4 or 5 years dead set on outreach social work, it's really personal and important to me and I know I'd be good at it (not to sound conceited) since I've had social workers my whole life.
On the other hand I took an introductory course to archaeology last year and fell in absolutely blissful love. Now I'm already taking 3rd year courses in it, but what sucks is that there's very little job opportunity for that, other than teaching it at University : ( So I'm completely torn between two things that I'm really passionate over, for so many different reasons. It sucks.

Why are we expected to know what we want to do for the rest of our lives when I can't even successfully take care of a plant? And I may or may not still sleep with a night light.

it's definitely stressful! and, if archaeology is what you're into, go for it!! my sister is the same way, and we live in the middle of nowhere Saskatchewan, haha! in the next teeny town over, there's a guy who's an archaeologist! sometimes you've gotta travel, but there's lots of stuff that can be done here in Canada that we don't even think about. Ask around, at a universitiy or college close to where you live! You'd be surprised at all the opportunities haha

julia_
Guru

Post by julia_ » Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:53 pm

story of my life. i'm in 4th year and have no idea what's gonna happen next year. and it's ALL people talk about these days, which makes it even more stressful. but i've come to the conclusion that as much as i'm worrying about choosing a masters program that will determine the rest of my life, we never really do choose a path. at least within social sciences and the arts, a lot of people end up doing completely different directions than they thought they would. so i once again i'm going to get another degree for the sake of getting a degree , and see what comes from that... howwww exciting.

Jessica
Groupie

Post by Jessica » Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:34 am

julia_ wrote:

story of my life. i'm in 4th year and have no idea what's gonna happen next year. and it's ALL people talk about these days, which makes it even more stressful. but i've come to the conclusion that as much as i'm worrying about choosing a masters program that will determine the rest of my life, we never really do choose a path. at least within social sciences and the arts, a lot of people end up doing completely different directions than they thought they would. so i once again i'm going to get another degree for the sake of getting a degree , and see what comes from that... howwww exciting.

on the bright side, the higher your education, the higher your pay when you're done! haha

dani
Hedley Ambassador

Post by dani » Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:43 pm

Guelph campus tour tomorrow!
i really just want to know where i'm meant to BE already! :/
hopefully i get that "wedding dress" feeling with this one!

alyssa!
Groupie

Post by alyssa! » Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:28 pm

I really wanted to be an interior designer, took the necessary high school classes, first year uni took the intro to architecture classes, gpa wasn't high enough for me to get in, next year I tried again by taking "easy" gpa booster classes, raised the gpa by .5 however the entrance gpa for architecture also went up so I still didn't get in. During hte second year I took an intro to leisure travel class, which is part of recreation and community development faculty and loved it, so I applied and got into that faculty, and couldn't be happier with what I'm learning and doing. Now in 5th year and graduating in a mere few weeks.. goes to show you never know where you will end up as I did a complete 180.
~Hey it's just another Saturday...

Robin
Hedley Ambassador

Post by Robin » Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:08 pm

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MY BIG LONG REPLY DIDN'T POST!!!!!! :evil:

dani wrote:Guelph campus tour tomorrow!
i really just want to know where i'm meant to BE already! :/
hopefully i get that "wedding dress" feeling with this one!

:lol: never heard it put like that before, I love it :P

I wish that I had the amount of choices in province that a lot of you guys do. There are two unis in Sask. Lots of colleges, and SIAST, but I don't think I'll be going that route. I know that UR has a good social work program, and I'd have no issue staying home, but... UBC is my dream. And I'm still so torn between social work and fine art, plus there's 37 other things I'd like to do. I don't know. So stressful.

<3 A Jakes Girl
<3 A Mother Effin Dave's Girl
<3 Post Whore
<3 'Stache Lover
<3 Harry Fan Club

http://headed-for-disaster.blogspot.com/