University/College

Talk about almost anything you want!
Post Reply
julia
Meloman
Posts: 287
Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:54 pm
Location: Kingston/Toronto
Contact:

Re: University/College

Post by julia » Fri May 08, 2009 7:56 pm

hmm probably not. i have heard both good and bag things about the castle, and my friend was there this year and had an amazing time.. but i think it would be cool to go to an actual university somewhere else in europe. and i am pretty sure it is much less expensive to just do an exchange at another university than the castle program. but we shall see where i end up! haha

Emma
Guru
Posts: 685
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:46 pm
Location: Markham, ON
Contact:

Re: University/College

Post by Emma » Fri May 08, 2009 8:59 pm

My friend's friend went to the castle first year and all she did was have sex. She lost her virginity to some British boy who didn't remember and threw up all over her after, and then just banged everyone.

Ohhhh university.
<3emma

User avatar
alyssa!
Groupie
Posts: 2749
Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:28 pm
Location: land down under
Contact:

Re: University/College

Post by alyssa! » Sat May 09, 2009 9:02 am

this girl i know tried U of Manitoba- quit after a semester, went to Emily Carr- quit there after a month, and now in september is going to Ryerson.
if you can't even do U of M what makes you think you can do the others?
i guess it pisses me off as i've always wanted to go to Ryerson
~Hey it's just another Saturday...

User avatar
sarahlouise
Meloman
Posts: 350
Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:52 pm
Contact:

Re: University/College

Post by sarahlouise » Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:23 pm

i picked all my courses yesterday. my schedule's pretty good. i'll post my timetable later. no classes on wednesdays which is cool. anyone else have their courses yet? i think york does theirs pretty early, lots of my friends dont pick til july. i got my student card too, not a GREAT picture but not horrible.
Image

julia
Meloman
Posts: 287
Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:54 pm
Location: Kingston/Toronto
Contact:

Re: University/College

Post by julia » Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:50 pm

i'm so confused on course selection for 2nd year, now that i have my major/minor i don't know how many courses of each are required and i can't find the info anywhere. BUT i'm excited to take this full year course on film making! :D

Emma
Guru
Posts: 685
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:46 pm
Location: Markham, ON
Contact:

Re: University/College

Post by Emma » Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:55 pm

sarahlouise wrote:i picked all my courses yesterday. my schedule's pretty good. i'll post my timetable later. no classes on wednesdays which is cool. anyone else have their courses yet? i think york does theirs pretty early, lots of my friends dont pick til july. i got my student card too, not a GREAT picture but not horrible.



I don't OFFICIALLY have mine picked, but I'm a huge nerd and got the timetable and made my schedule already so that I know what I'm doing when I add courses, instead of just being like "oh...this one I guess" I have a list haha. And my schedule is PACKED. First year I've had more than 3 days a week of classes. And by that, I mean I have classes EVERY day. Including Friday. Boooooo.
<3emma

User avatar
sarahlouise
Meloman
Posts: 350
Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:52 pm
Contact:

Re: University/College

Post by sarahlouise » Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:56 pm

that sounds like a wicked class! a guy from my high school is at queens for film. maybe you'll be in his class! /probably not.

were most of your classes full year last year? or did you have a lot of half year courses? i have 4 full year and 2 halfs.

also i know this is completely irrelevant to everyone else, but i'm totally excited :) . these are my courses.


GL/ILST 2200 6.00 International Society: History, Philosophy and Theories

GL/FRLS 1510 6.00 Français intermédiaire II

GL/ILST 2655 6.00 Global Geography: Physical and Human Aspects

AP/WMST 2600 6.00 Introduction to Critical Sexualities

GL/ILST 2300 3.00 Culture, Globalization and International Civil Society (fall semester)

GL/PHIL 2615 3.00 Moral Questions and Social Policies (winter semester)
Image

Emma
Guru
Posts: 685
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:46 pm
Location: Markham, ON
Contact:

Re: University/College

Post by Emma » Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:00 pm

Intro to Critical Sexualities sounds cool. I'm taking Human Sexuality this year, I'm so stoked.

Most of my classes first year were full courses(i had 4 full, 2 half like you) but now that I'm in upper year stuff most of it is half courses. meaning 10 classes a year instead of 5. which sucks, because that's actually a lot more information even though it's the same number of credits. Shittyyyy. It also somehow made it harder for me to organize my schedule with no classes on certain days, because...it just doesn't work. TOO MUCH! AAAAH.
<3emma

User avatar
sarahlouise
Meloman
Posts: 350
Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:52 pm
Contact:

Re: University/College

Post by sarahlouise » Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:05 pm

ya i think it sounds really interesting. it's at the keele campus though, so i have to do the shuttle bus thing, but that's cool. it'll be so different from my tiny Glendon. i was going to take a certificate in teaching english as an international language, which i totally wanted to do but it was hard to work it with my major and doing an exchange. so im gonna do the sexuality studies certificate instead. the courses sound super interesting.


i was thinking it would be better to do more half courses just because it would be more variety, but you totally make more sense. it would be way more difficult. i'll cross that bridge when i get there though haha.

in the winter semester, i have french from 9-11am on tuesday, then im done til thursday morning. it's such a waste of getting up early haha
Image

Emma
Guru
Posts: 685
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:46 pm
Location: Markham, ON
Contact:

Re: University/College

Post by Emma » Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:25 pm

sarahlouise wrote:ya i think it sounds really interesting. it's at the keele campus though, so i have to do the shuttle bus thing, but that's cool. it'll be so different from my tiny Glendon. i was going to take a certificate in teaching english as an international language, which i totally wanted to do but it was hard to work it with my major and doing an exchange. so im gonna do the sexuality studies certificate instead. the courses sound super interesting.


i was thinking it would be better to do more half courses just because it would be more variety, but you totally make more sense. it would be way more difficult. i'll cross that bridge when i get there though haha.

in the winter semester, i have french from 9-11am on tuesday, then im done til thursday morning. it's such a waste of getting up early haha


You're living on campus right? Or like, in rez? I guess I was always lucky that my very very tiny school had rez right on campus. Because even with a crap class like that, it was 5 minutes back to my room to go back to bed haha.
<3emma

User avatar
sarahlouise
Meloman
Posts: 350
Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:52 pm
Contact:

Re: University/College

Post by sarahlouise » Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:34 pm

ya i'm in rez. 5 minutes from my bed to my class. hollaaa.

ive got a single room, which is sweet. and im on the girls floor, which im undecided about. i put it down because i like the idea of not sharing a bathroom with boys. i can just go up/down stairs if i get sick of all the girlies i guess. plus the school has way more girls than guys anyways.
Image

Emma
Guru
Posts: 685
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:46 pm
Location: Markham, ON
Contact:

Re: University/College

Post by Emma » Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:39 pm

sarahlouise wrote:ya i'm in rez. 5 minutes from my bed to my class. hollaaa.

ive got a single room, which is sweet. and im on the girls floor, which im undecided about. i put it down because i like the idea of not sharing a bathroom with boys. i can just go up/down stairs if i get sick of all the girlies i guess. plus the school has way more girls than guys anyways.



I go to a Cathoic college so all our floors are single-sex. That's awesome that you got your own room! Are they all the same size? Our single rooms were just double rooms(two beds and all!) with only one person staying in them lol. SO most people just pushed the two single beds together and made a double. Genius!
<3emma

julia
Meloman
Posts: 287
Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:54 pm
Location: Kingston/Toronto
Contact:

Re: University/College

Post by julia » Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:21 am

sarahlouise wrote:that sounds like a wicked class! a guy from my high school is at queens for film. maybe you'll be in his class! /probably not.

were most of your classes full year last year? or did you have a lot of half year courses? i have 4 full year and 2 halfs.

also i know this is completely irrelevant to everyone else, but i'm totally excited :) . these are my courses.


GL/ILST 2200 6.00 International Society: History, Philosophy and Theories

GL/FRLS 1510 6.00 Français intermédiaire II

GL/ILST 2655 6.00 Global Geography: Physical and Human Aspects

AP/WMST 2600 6.00 Introduction to Critical Sexualities

GL/ILST 2300 3.00 Culture, Globalization and International Civil Society (fall semester)

GL/PHIL 2615 3.00 Moral Questions and Social Policies (winter semester)


yeah i just watched all the films they made in that class this year and they're so cool! who is the guy you know? film is pretty interactive so i may actually know him/know who he is! haha.
i don't know if your question was directed at me, but i took all full-year courses. i liked it that way because i got lucky and none of my classes had midterms, and 2 of them didn't even have end of semester exams so i only had 3 exams a semester when most people had 5 or 6! i also find that full year courses spread out the course work instead of jamming it all into one semester, and there is more time to do actual assignments like essays/presentations/projects, which is good for me because i'm better at stuff like that and i HATE it when your entire mark depends on one or two tests/exams. and, because you're taking one course for so long you really get a feel of how marking works, if you ACTUALLY have to do the readings/go to lectures, etc.
but at the same time, some of my courses (aka politics and sociology) started to get reeeally boring since the profs were the same through the whole year, and it felt like they would never come to an end. but i'm in for a change next year because i'm majoring in history and most history courses are half year credits.. i feel like it will be intense.. and i'm not gonna be used to having midterms! haha

your courses sound really interesting though! what are you planning on majoring in?
and emma from what i remember you go to western right (yeaa for my creepy good memory!)? are you in one of the colleges?

Emma
Guru
Posts: 685
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:46 pm
Location: Markham, ON
Contact:

Re: University/College

Post by Emma » Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:56 am

Ya, I go to King's at Western. Don't even worry, I'm probably way creepier. Um, like that time I creeped the Post Your Picture thread on the old forum and was like "OMG DO YOU GO TO MARKVILLE? YOU KNOW JACKIE CUMMINGS? OMG" And I still remember that lol.

I agree about the jamming of info into half-courses too. I feel like a full course and a half course have the same amount of information, so half courses are just harder because they're all at once and you have to know EVERYTHING at all times. And Have like 24798734 exams. Boooo.
<3emma

julia
Meloman
Posts: 287
Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:54 pm
Location: Kingston/Toronto
Contact:

Re: University/College

Post by julia » Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:11 am

HAHAha i remember when jackie asked how i knew you and i was like uhhh ummmmm we are... old friends? i don't think any of my friends will ever understand the forum lyyyfe.

Post Reply