University/College

Talk about almost anything you want!
lessthanthree
Guru

Re: University/College

Post by lessthanthree » Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:07 pm

jords wrote:well, I'm applying to durham college in the fall, for MBM (music business/management) , i'm not really sure where your from, but I know they also offer the program in B.C, ad Nova Scotia, I believe.

I went there for that!! Well it was called Entertainment Administration then, and was only 2 years (that's 3 now right?). It's an awesome program... by which I mean it's a LOT of fun, the people in it are usually pretty cool and you get to know everyone really well because it's such a small program.

The faculty has changed almost entirely since I was there though... due to some epic drama. I think Tony Sutherland might still be teaching? Good guy, knows his stuff.

Buuuuuuuuuuuut you have to be REALLY motivated to make anything happen once you finish that program. I only know of three people from my year who actually got work in the music industry after graduation, and they were all hired by their internships we did in second year. 2 or 3 other people from my year went into real estate, for some reason, and a whole slew of us have since gone back to school for something else. :lol:

But it was honestly probably the best 2 years of my life, even though I had to spend it living in Oshawa. :lol: Field trips to the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame are clearly the highlight... I hope you guys still get to do that!

Also, those of you in/starting college or university: next spring/summer, look at all the scholarships and bursaries your school offers. It's all money they absolutely HAVE to give away every year. So if some aren't won or claimed, they'll give them away to basically anyone -- you can apply for, and get, bursaries you wouldn't normally qualify for at all if they have it left over!

julia
Meloman

Post by julia » Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:19 am

i just found out our lady peace is playing for our frosh week concert. not too badddd, although i only know like 3 of their songs.

sarahlouise
Meloman

Post by sarahlouise » Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:32 pm

holy textbooks batman. not all of my classes are listed on the bookstore website, but holy shit.

julia_
Guru

Post by julia_ » Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:47 am

i got my final schedule today. sheiiiiizza it's gonna be brutal. SO MANY 3 hour classes, one after the other... but at least i'm done at 10:30 on fridays.

jords
Fan

Post by jords » Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:30 pm

lessthanthree wrote:
jords wrote:well, I'm applying to durham college in the fall, for MBM (music business/management) , i'm not really sure where your from, but I know they also offer the program in B.C, ad Nova Scotia, I believe.

I went there for that!! Well it was called Entertainment Administration then, and was only 2 years (that's 3 now right?). It's an awesome program... by which I mean it's a LOT of fun, the people in it are usually pretty cool and you get to know everyone really well because it's such a small program.

The faculty has changed almost entirely since I was there though... due to some epic drama. I think Tony Sutherland might still be teaching? Good guy, knows his stuff.

Buuuuuuuuuuuut you have to be REALLY motivated to make anything happen once you finish that program. I only know of three people from my year who actually got work in the music industry after graduation, and they were all hired by their internships we did in second year. 2 or 3 other people from my year went into real estate, for some reason, and a whole slew of us have since gone back to school for something else. :lol:

But it was honestly probably the best 2 years of my life, even though I had to spend it living in Oshawa. :lol: Field trips to the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame are clearly the highlight... I hope you guys still get to do that!

Also, those of you in/starting college or university: next spring/summer, look at all the scholarships and bursaries your school offers. It's all money they absolutely HAVE to give away every year. So if some aren't won or claimed, they'll give them away to basically anyone -- you can apply for, and get, bursaries you wouldn't normally qualify for at all if they have it left over!

ah really? and yeah, it's a 2/3 year course now. I'm pretty sure the third year is optional. It's a difference between a dipolma and an advanced diploma haha

& yeah my worst fear pretty much is not getting a job after i graduate. I am pretty determined though. I've been looking forward to this program pretty much before I even started highschool. I've always been "that" girl when it comes to my towns music scene and all that, you know . Promoting the shit out of everyone I can is my thing here, haha.
I'm so glad it's fun though. I'm acutally really excited. I hope I get accepted. If not, I'm screwed because it's the only school that offers it in Ontario. It calls for a 70 percent in college or university english . I'm talking university english though I don't know if that will even matter. Any other advice/ things you would liked to share !? thanks for the information you already laid down though, it helped a lot ! :(

Tara
Fan

Post by Tara » Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:31 pm

I have to go register tomorrow and I'm getting my schedule .. should be interesting.

niya
Fan

Post by niya » Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:25 pm

It's so SOON, aaaah. I just said goodbye to my best friend who's off to Dalhousie in halifax. It was so brutal.

I'm freaking out a little bit. I don't wanna grow up!

Emma
Guru

Post by Emma » Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:30 pm

niya wrote:It's so SOON, aaaah. I just said goodbye to my best friend who's off to Dalhousie in halifax. It was so brutal.

I'm freaking out a little bit. I don't wanna grow up!

Not that I did it on purpose or anything, but I'm kind of glad I'm doing a 5th year of university(I switched programs so I'm short credits)
I just think that after 4 years, if I had stayed in my program and whatnot, I would not be ready to be out doing anything.
I would just be 21 and not that age matters a LOT, I just think that for me, I would feel thrust into growing up. And I don't want to! Haha.

Sorry for any spelling mistakes in that, too. I was up at 7:00 this morning to do training for my new job, and I'm so not used to that so I'm a little bit out of it. But I swear, normally I can prove that I'm worthy of my university acceptance. Usually.
<3emma

julia_
Guru

Post by julia_ » Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:08 am

i know what you mean, i don't see anything wrong with taking an extra year. 4 years is not enough! i want to be in school foreverrrr. which is why its vital for me to go to grad school once i'm done undergrad.. screw work. haha

Tara
Fan

Post by Tara » Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:54 pm

I start classes tomorrow.
My friend is leaving on Friday.

julia_
Guru

Post by julia_ » Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:42 pm

APPARENTLY our reading week is different than like every other school, what the frickkkk!!

jords
Fan

Post by jords » Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:29 pm

can someone please explain this to me .. i don't get it ..
i thought durham was the only school who had the program (in ontario)
but i was googling and i came across this .. but im not sure if it's like a full program or what..
and i dont really get it .. so can someone help me ?! haha
http://www.coned.georgebrown.ca/owa_pro ... ode=PS0019

lessthanthree
Guru

Post by lessthanthree » Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:31 pm

It sounds to me like that Music Business Administration program is just a one-year thing you do AFTER a traditional business program at that school. MBM at Durham is a full 2- or 3-year program devoted entirely to learning about the music industry, but that covers some of the basics after you go through traditional business studies.

It's likely not as thorough or involved as Durham's program.

niya
Fan

Post by niya » Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:32 pm

I loooove Ottawa U. :D

sarahlouise
Meloman

Post by sarahlouise » Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:47 pm

so i ended up dropping the womens studies/sexuality studies class. i just enrolled in spanish instead. hopefully they havent done too much since ive missed 3 classes. and hopefully i can actually pick it up! i've always wanted a 3rd language though so it should be good. it interferes with one of my winter courses but im just gonna deal with that later. it's been so stressful trying to find another class since i dropped that one.

my geo professor is a whackjob. so that kind of sucks. it seems like he might be an easy grader though. or he better be since he refuses to answer anybodys questions.

all in all i really like it here though! glad you love it there niya!