University/College

Talk about almost anything you want!
lessthanthree
Guru

Re: University/College

Post by lessthanthree » Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:22 pm

Yeeeeeeah my tuition/books/everything is over $5000 for one year. :( So jealous.

Tara
Fan

Post by Tara » Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:39 pm

I'm sure once I decide what I'm doing/where I'm going after this year it'll be more then what I got now, hahah

Emma
Guru

Post by Emma » Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:37 am

lessthanthree wrote:
Tara wrote:I got a bursary through war amps. they cover my tuition and my books up to $2500, it ends up that I only end up having to pay a $95 confirmation fee, and like around $500 for books.

I'm just joining this thread/can't be bothered reading the previous 8 pages, but where do you go to school that $2500 covers that much of your costs?! My tuition is way higher than that. I hate Ontario. :(

I have one year left at York. And I'm basically only going now because I've done the first three and I might as well get the degree. I'm in professional writing but it's more or less killed my desire to write...

Also I have a summer course right now, for which I have an 8-10 page essay due on Thursday which I probably should start.

Oh, someone who feels the same way I do about school lol.
I was in English first and second year and it totally made me hate anything that had to do with literacy.
I didn't read anything, I absolutely hated writing. It destroyed me.
Now I've switched into Psychology and Criminology. It's better, but I'm still basically just finishing because I might as well get my degree.

-My tuition is $6,000 plus about $500 for books(when I was in English it was closer to $1,000) I hate it. Like, that's bad enough, and then rent ends up being like another $5,500 a year. School is expensive. I wish OSAP was nicer to me haha. Like, I do get a lot, but I get just enough that I have to pay it all back...and I only got $300 more this year than last year, even though I've had no job all summer, my mom retired, and my sister starts university this Fall. So I don't understand how it works at all.

So now my mom's like "If you screw up anymore, you're moving home and paying rent" blah blah. But I might as well stay at school and pay rent, because at least I have OSAP. I hate school sometimes. Except my friends...lol.
<3emma

sarahlouise
Meloman

Post by sarahlouise » Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:48 am

I'm ready to punch York in the face.
One of my marks went in to OUAC wrong, so it said my average was 89% which is a $1000 a year scholarship. I called my high school, they fixed it, so my average is the 90% that it actually was and I should get a $2000 scholarship. I've emailed York and they were like ya, you get $1000. I told them to count again and they gave me a phone number, so I call, and nobody answers, not even an answering machine, just a dial tone. Tried the Glendon campus, nobody was there. I'm going to call again this afternoon though, hopefully I can talk to someone. I'm not giving up til I get the $2000, and I'll bring them my transcripts and report cards to prove it. I just wish it wasn't such a pain in the ass.

sarahlouise
Meloman

Post by sarahlouise » Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:49 am

Oh have you guys heard anything about who's playing your Frosh concerts??
We get Knaan and The Stills and a few smaller acts. They said one more is still to be announced, not sure if it'll be a bigger or smaller act though.

niya
Fan

Post by niya » Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:36 pm

2 grand for a 90 average only, Sarah? That sucks dude. Our universities are really generous because we have Ottawa U AND Carleton which are always in competition over students so they give out hefty, hefty sums of money to attract students. For a ninety average here you would be getting closer to 4 grand.

Tara
Fan

Post by Tara » Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:44 pm

Snoop Dog is playing for the MUN concert, hahahahahahah. It's open to anyone though.

Emma
Guru

Post by Emma » Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:25 pm

I dunno who's playing our O-Week concert yet but I want to know so bad!
You can only get into the stage area if you're frosh, but theres a hill you can sit on and watch from if you aren't.

My first year we had Mobile(eh...) and Protest the Hero. So I made my new friends stalk aka hang out with Rody Walker with me. It was so awesome.
Last year it was illScarlett but no one would go with me haha. But we saw them first year anyways cuz our Student Council did a $5 show with them and DWW which was sweet.
So this year...I NEED TO KNOW. I keep checking the website like a creeper but it's still not up. And my sister is frosh this year, so I hope I don't see her when I go haha. AWKWARD.
<3emma

julia
Meloman

Post by julia » Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:48 pm

it's a mystery for us. i want to know!! last year we had sam roberts which was pretty good.. i didnt really know any of his new stuff though. ah, any band that plays is going to be one that i dont know that well. haha

Emma
Guru

Post by Emma » Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:11 am

OMG
I just creeped my schools frosh facebook group(which my sister is a part of. ugh.)
They have a huge thread about who the band might be
and I want to beat some of these kids.
They're fucking pricks, I could kill them all.
Some(most...) of them are just DUMB. I want to smack their heads together and be like "STOP BEING A FUCKING IDIOT!"
They also have all these lame threads about like rumors about our school, people are like "OMG Do 1 in 4 people here really have STD's? Is it true that you aren't allowed to study because there are so many parties that people will drag you out of your room? I got a fake ID in Toronto, will it work in London or do I need a driver's license?"

I'm thinking back to when I was frosh and in my year's group, and we didn't have these discussions! We were like "Oh hey, what program are you in? What residence did you get into?"

Some of my favorite quotes.

On who should/could play the concert....

"successful canadian?...
no one would be better than DRAKE!"

ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME? SHUT YOUR MOUTH AND LEAVE MY SCHOOL. Drake is TOTALLY the type of person Western would get to play here, but I just think it's absurd that anyone would think the best("no one better than") successful Canadian is DRAKE. And his names Aubrey, I'm so sick of this Drake shit.

"Their not that popular yet but im hoping down with webster"

Their/There/They're is apparently not taught to FIRST YEAR UNIVERSITY STUDENTS anymore.

"If it's alexisonfire i'm going to listen to them, and then punch dallas green in the face. God damn. If only everyone knew him in person."
I'm sure you know Dallas Green. Meeting someone once/twice/etc does not mean you "know him" it means you met him. You have no say in what he is like! (He then went on to write a HUUUUGE post about how he was talking to Dallas and talk talk talk then Dallas was like "oh I have to go" AND LEFT! How dare he?

"Hmmmmmmm
Who knows"

Thank you for your valuable input. This person has also started a thread for only "ma brown ppl" going into first year.

"i heard alexisonfire is doing the frosh for Toronto University, so they probably could be passing by uwo too"

1. They are not doing Frosh. They may be doing Frosh WEEK. Very, very different. 2. Toronto University? Really? Doesn't exist. NEXT.

"one of the leaders at SAO
hinted at our group that it could possibly
be hedleyy"

SAO leaders wouldn't know, but if it is Hedley, I'm obviously stalking them.

A lot of people are saying it's Trench though. So obviously I went to my good ol' Twitter and @replied to josh to ask hahaha. Now I'm acting like a complete fucking moron, but I want to know if it is someone I really like. I kind of wish it was Stereos or something. Or that Stereos was opening for the headliner. Because that's what Protest the Hero did and then I stalked Rody. Aka just went up and I was like "hey, sup?" and we all had a cigarette and it was chill. But I still probably seemed insane.

I will probably post more super annoying things I find later. Because it's 6am, I haven't slept yet, and I can't think of anything else to do.
<3emma

Emma
Guru

Post by Emma » Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:39 am

"my friend's fake id is from the Northwest Territories, he used it before he turned 19 hahah."
Personally, I only used my fake ID after I turned 19. I wish I'd thought of that!

"i just wanted to knoo because so many people say this...

dont go to western unless youre rich?
i got in early acceptance
but i might be going to mcmaster instead because all i hear is if you dont have
all the expensive clothes and stuff that youre no one. is western really all about status and money? i also heard when you meet people they ask you what your parents do..."

WTF? Seriously? Really?

"go to McMaster

1- better school ranking ( :D )
2- Hamilton is a really cool place...I have lived in a lot of cites...and Hamilton is like top 2.
3- ( no offense ) most people that apply to western probably applied out of fear that they would not get accepted into other universities :P"

1. Why are you in the Western first year group? 2. Hamilton is a NASTY NASTY CITY!!!(no offence to ppl who live in hamilton. but it's gross) 3. Western is the only school to achieve an "A" grade by MacLeans survey that they do for Student Experience(7 years in a row, you can thank my job for teaching me that) 4. Since when is Western a back-up school? Srsly.

"Hey when your living on residence can you get mail?"

No. We refuse to let anything outside our campus into our students lives while they are here. NO OUTSIDE CORRESPONDANCE!

Oh, just re-read the question, and noticed it says living ON residence. So no, you will not have a mailbox if you are living ON residence. Only those actually IN residence have mailboxes.

Wow, I really need to sleep.
<3emma

lessthanthree
Guru

Post by lessthanthree » Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:31 pm

Jeez Emma those quotes make my brain sad. Haha. I'd just be facepalming left right and centre and be all "Ok transferring to a new school now, kthxbi."

Emma wrote:

Their/There/They're is apparently not taught to FIRST YEAR UNIVERSITY STUDENTS anymore.

I'm going into fourth year PROFESSIONAL WRITING and that is still a concept that baffles people in my classes. One of the MANDATORY second year courses in my program is grammar. It's ALL concepts that I learned in high school and I can't figure out why NOBODY ELSE DID.

niya
Fan

Post by niya » Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:36 pm

I received another hefty scholarship 2 nights ago: $3500.

My total of "free money" as like to call it through scholarships/bursaries is a little over $10,000. I'm fuckin' stoked!

kate1013
Hedley Ambassador

Post by kate1013 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:38 pm

niya wrote:I received another hefty scholarship 2 nights ago: $3500.

My total of "free money" as like to call it through scholarships/bursaries is a little over $10,000. I'm fuckin' stoked!

that is amazinggg ! :o
good for you !
are you getting all these scholarships from your amazing art ?
Hedley Shows To Date: 32

Emma
Guru

Post by Emma » Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:21 pm

lessthanthree wrote:Jeez Emma those quotes make my brain sad. Haha. I'd just be facepalming left right and centre and be all "Ok transferring to a new school now, kthxbi."

Emma wrote:

I'm going into fourth year PROFESSIONAL WRITING and that is still a concept that baffles people in my classes. One of the MANDATORY second year courses in my program is grammar. It's ALL concepts that I learned in high school and I can't figure out why NOBODY ELSE DID.

First or Second year Essay Writing is mandatory for my program(Psychology) and when we had to do peer reviews, I wanted to blow my brains out. Most people couldn't grasp the most basic concepts of essay writing. Most people were English majors. It was horrible. It was basically a review of grade 9 English, and no one knew what the FUCK was going on except a few of us.
<3emma