University/College

Talk about almost anything you want!
julia
Meloman

Re: University/College

Post by julia » Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:12 pm

sarahlouise wrote:so part of me really wants to do a double major with international studies and womens studies. are double majors crazy or would it be do-able? although with an exchange year it might be tricky. but i could do a summer term to help make up for that.

i think my dad would die if i doubled in womens studies though haha. mr "go to business school then law school".

how many credits of each subject would you need each year to do a double major?
if i were you i would see how first year goes, i've probably already said this but i applied for one thing and changed my mind after first year because it turns out i didn't like the course/program. so i would see how you like both international and women's studies, and then decide whether you'd want to keep taking both and if you could handle the intensity of a double major! hahah but dont worry about it for now.

SarahMarie
Groupie

Post by SarahMarie » Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:23 pm

julia wrote:
sarahlouise wrote:so part of me really wants to do a double major with international studies and womens studies. are double majors crazy or would it be do-able? although with an exchange year it might be tricky. but i could do a summer term to help make up for that.

i think my dad would die if i doubled in womens studies though haha. mr "go to business school then law school".

if i were you i would see how first year goes, i've probably already said this but i applied for one thing and changed my mind after first year because it turns out i didn't like the course/program. so i would see how you like both international and women's studies, and then decide whether you'd want to keep taking both and if you could handle the intensity of a double major! hahah but dont worry about it for now.

Agreed. A lot of people change their minds. I have a cousin who has changed courses/programs like four times now. I don't have the money available to be able to do that.

@sarahmarienolan

sarahlouise
Meloman

Post by sarahlouise » Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:22 pm

julia wrote:

As far as I can tell it's 42 of each, my french courses which will be about 18 credits. And then the general education component would be covered by some of my major classes so I don't have to worry about those. Although it looks like hardly any of the women's studies classes are offered at Glendon and I'm not sure how much time I want to spend commuting between campuses/at Keele! But ya, I have one WS as an elective right now, so I'll play it by ear. I'll get through first year first haha.

hailey
Meloman

Post by hailey » Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:39 pm

Thanks everyone, I know my fear is irrational but can't shake it for whatever reason.
I want to go into Development Studies, not sure what I want my focus to be yet but I will figure it out (soon hopefully). And I know about the 80+ thing (especially if i want to get into Queen's). I just got my report card from last semester and my average was 79.4. I was so upset haha, so I'll be working my ass off this year.
worry not, all things are well. we'll be alright, we have our looks and perfume on.

SarahMarie
Groupie

Post by SarahMarie » Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:25 pm

hailey wrote:Thanks everyone, I know my fear is irrational but can't shake it for whatever reason.
I want to go into Development Studies, not sure what I want my focus to be yet but I will figure it out (soon hopefully). And I know about the 80+ thing (especially if i want to get into Queen's). I just got my report card from last semester and my average was 79.4. I was so upset haha, so I'll be working my ass off this year.

It's anything but irrational, believe me. I convinced myself that I wasn't going to get accepted just so I wouldn't have high hopes in case I didn't make it. Pretty sure my family and friends were ready to kill me for my negativity. And no worries, my grade 11 year BLEW. My average was 79 or a bit lower. Worst I ever did in highschool and I was so worried universities would look at that.

@sarahmarienolan

niya
Fan

Post by niya » Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:30 pm

Women's studies!? Sarah, that's BULLSHIT. Honey, don't. SUCH a waste of time. And they just feed you the most, sexist crap. Please don't turn into a feminazi!

Tiffany
Amateur

Post by Tiffany » Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:38 pm

I took a women and society course this year. Never again at least not with Linda Briskin. The prof. totally ruined my whole entire year and dropped everyone in my tutorials (and just my tutorial) grade by a whole grade point. She was horrid and I couldn't stand her lectures there was no real structure, I would much rather she brought in guest speakers every week.

Sarah, I hope if your taking that class @ Keele that you don't get her.
T i f f a n y

sarahlouise
Meloman

Post by sarahlouise » Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:23 am

niya wrote:Women's studies!? Sarah, that's BULLSHIT. Honey, don't. SUCH a waste of time. And they just feed you the most, sexist crap. Please don't turn into a feminazi!

Too late, my bras have been burned!!!
Kidding obviously. I dunno. The courses sound interesting, but I'd never get a straight up degree in women's studies.
I doubt I'll double major now that I look at it more. I'll def take a few classes though, then maybe I can school you on the way of the woman ;) I'm doing a certificate thing (21 credits) in sexuality studies, and they cross reference as women's studies, but that's more the side I'm interested in.

sarahlouise
Meloman

Post by sarahlouise » Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:24 am

Tiffany wrote:I took a women and society course this year. Never again at least not with Linda Briskin. The prof. totally ruined my whole entire year and dropped everyone in my tutorials (and just my tutorial) grade by a whole grade point. She was horrid and I couldn't stand her lectures there was no real structure, I would much rather she brought in guest speakers every week.

Sarah, I hope if your taking that class @ Keele that you don't get her.

The one I'm taking this year is Intro to Critical Sexualities. But thanks for the tip! I'll try to avoid her!

Tara
Fan

Post by Tara » Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:57 pm

I got a bursary through war amps. they cover my tuition and my books up to $2500, it ends up that I only end up having to pay a $95 confirmation fee, and like around $500 for books.

SarahMarie
Groupie

Post by SarahMarie » Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:52 pm

Tara wrote:I got a bursary through war amps. they cover my tuition and my books up to $2500, it ends up that I only end up having to pay a $95 confirmation fee, and like around $500 for books.

Congrats! That oughta lessen the burden of post secondary. ;)

@sarahmarienolan

sarahlouise
Meloman

Post by sarahlouise » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:22 am

Tara wrote:I got a bursary through war amps. they cover my tuition and my books up to $2500, it ends up that I only end up having to pay a $95 confirmation fee, and like around $500 for books.

congrats! that's incredible! is that just for this year or is it the whole shot?

Tara
Fan

Post by Tara » Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:53 pm

sarahlouise wrote:

congrats! that's incredible! is that just for this year or is it the whole shot?

just this year. every year you have to re-apply and the amount you get depends on how many people applied for it. i'm assuming it'll be mostly the same each year, but i don't know seeming as this is the first year i did.

and thanks guys :)

lessthanthree
Guru

Post by lessthanthree » Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:42 am

I'm just joining this thread/can't be bothered reading the previous 8 pages, but where do you go to school that $2500 covers that much of your costs?! My tuition is way higher than that. I hate Ontario. :(

I have one year left at York. And I'm basically only going now because I've done the first three and I might as well get the degree. I'm in professional writing but it's more or less killed my desire to write...

Also I have a summer course right now, for which I have an 8-10 page essay due on Thursday which I probably should start.

Tara
Fan

Post by Tara » Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:20 pm

lessthanthree wrote:

I'm just joining this thread/can't be bothered reading the previous 8 pages, but where do you go to school that $2500 covers that much of your costs?! My tuition is way higher than that. I hate Ontario. :(

College of the North Atlantic.
I'm just doing the general year or whatever. Tuition for a semester is $726, so $1452 a year, which is still leaves me with $1048 from my bursary to go towards my books.