Book Club

Talk about almost anything you want!
Jessica
Groupie

Re: Book Club

Post by Jessica » Mon May 07, 2012 11:32 am

I'm a super nerdy Psychology major and am digging reading books about any part of it! I read this book in 2 days, and if you're interested in child psychology/what the human brain/body will do for self preservation I recommend it! It's SO interesting, even if you're not into psychology. (I read parts of it to my construction-worker boyfriend and then caught him reading the rest! haha)

The Boy Who Was Raised As a Dog: And Other Stories from a Child Psychiatrist's Notebook: What Traumatized Children Can Teach Us About Loss, Love and Healing
What happens when a young brain is traumatized? How does terror, abuse, or disaster affect a child's mind--and how can that mind recover? Child psychiatrist Bruce Perry has helped children faced with unimaginable horror: genocide survivors, murder witnesses, kidnapped teenagers, and victims of family violence. In The Boy Who Was Raised as a Dog, he tells their stories of trauma and transformation through the lens of science, revealing the brain's astonishing capacity for healing. Deftly combining unforgettable case histories with his own compassionate, insightful strategies for rehabilitation, Perry explains what exactly happens to the brain when a child is exposed to extreme stress-and reveals the unexpected measures that can be taken to ease a child's pain and help him grow into a healthy adult. Through the stories of children who recover-physically, mentally, and emotionally-from the most devastating circumstances, Perry shows how simple things like surroundings, affection, language, and touch can deeply impact the developing brain, for better or for worse. In this deeply informed and moving book, Bruce Perry dramatically demonstrates that only when we understand the science of the mind can we hope to heal the spirit of even the most wounded child.

And I'm currently in the middle of this one:
How We Got Barb Back: The Story of My Sister's Reawakening after 30 Years of Schizophrenia
In the early 1970s, Barb Hawkins, a talented, vivacious young woman from suburban Chicago, met and married an Iraqi graduate student and, after his unsuccessful search for a teaching position in the U.S., moved with him to Basra where he'd been offered a job at the university. When they returned for a visit three years later, she was clearly not well, and he had run out of resources to help her. She wouldn't allow herself to be touched. She would mutter angrily and stay in her room. She was in torment, and so was her traumatized family.
Her parents, utterly out of their depth, never sought help for her after her first refusal to go to a psychiatrist. They simply loved and protected her as best they knew how. For 33 years Barbara was never evaluated, never hospitalized, never medicated, and, after the first few years, she didn't leave the house.
Until her parents died and her sister Margaret became her guardian.
How We Got Barb Back is the story of Barb's descent into schizophrenia and the healing that has come only in recent years. With uncanny grace and humor, Margaret chronicle's her family's struggle with Barb's mental illness, the love that carried them through, and the virtual army of healthcare angels willing to come to Barb to help. It's an extraordinary story of severe mental illness and the healing that is possible with good diagnoses, good drugs, good care, and a fierce belief in our power to get well.

dani
Hedley Ambassador

Post by dani » Mon May 07, 2012 6:44 pm

Reading Barney's Version and am really starting to like it! Also reading Invisible Chains about human trafficking in Canada and that's really great as well :)
♥ At least we did it our way, and learned the hard way, it's all that these scars say ♥

icecreamgrrl
Global Moderator / Hedley Ambassador

Post by icecreamgrrl » Tue May 08, 2012 8:55 am

Finished Fifty Shades series last night.
I miss it already.
Such a good story but also so...naughty! hehe

I wish she'd write more books!
~*Jenna*~
*Postwhore*

Jessica
Groupie

Post by Jessica » Tue May 08, 2012 9:07 am

dani wrote:Reading Barney's Version and am really starting to like it! Also reading Invisible Chains about human trafficking in Canada and that's really great as well :)

I've been wanting to read Invisible Chains for awhile - good to hear a good review!

dani
Hedley Ambassador

Post by dani » Tue May 08, 2012 3:12 pm

Jessica wrote:
dani wrote:Reading Barney's Version and am really starting to like it! Also reading Invisible Chains about human trafficking in Canada and that's really great as well :)

I've been wanting to read Invisible Chains for awhile - good to hear a good review!

It's been awesome so far! I went to a conference at U of T and everyone there was speaking so highly of it! I'm not very far in, but it's really good so far so I'm sure you'll love it!
♥ At least we did it our way, and learned the hard way, it's all that these scars say ♥

icecreamgrrl
Global Moderator / Hedley Ambassador

Post by icecreamgrrl » Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:06 pm

I've gotten behind on reading since I finished Fifty Shades, nothing seemed to compare to it lol
but i started reading again last night. Deadlocked. :)
~*Jenna*~
*Postwhore*

wintergreen
Groupie

Post by wintergreen » Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:51 pm

On the final Shopaholic book now. The series is alright.. entertaining, at least. I'm averaging a book a week so once this one's done I'll have to figure out what to read next.

kate1013
Hedley Ambassador

Post by kate1013 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:19 pm

I've sucked at reading ever since phase one of the Shipwrecked tour in Feb/March. I just can't bring myself to sit down and read. I've been on the same PLL book for MONTHS. Hopefully over the summer I'll be able to start checking books off of my long list.
Hedley Shows To Date: 32

dani
Hedley Ambassador

Post by dani » Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:33 pm

Only reading study notes right now :(

But before i started my crackdown I had almost finished Living Me To We by Craig & Marc Kielburger! not really a "reading" book, but it had a lot of really useful tips!

Missa
Fan

Post by Missa » Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:36 am

dani wrote:Only reading study notes right now :(

Study notes, articles and a textbook for a class I'm doing through distance.... six weeks of tourture! (Remind me again why I am doing this?)

dani
Hedley Ambassador

Post by dani » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:10 am

Missa wrote:

Study notes, articles and a textbook for a class I'm doing through distance.... six weeks of tourture! (Remind me again why I am doing this?)

Because apparently education is important or something like that? meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerp :( Almost put my head through the wall last night, exams are so much worse this year!!!

Missa
Fan

Post by Missa » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:49 am

dani wrote:
Missa wrote:

Because apparently education is important or something like that? meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerp :( Almost put my head through the wall last night, exams are so much worse this year!!!

Oh I agree 110% that education is important... but I`ve already did the whole high school bit and university bit.... Got two degrees under my belt and on to my third

Robin
Hedley Ambassador

Post by Robin » Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:47 pm

Missa wrote:
dani wrote:
Missa wrote:

Oh I agree 110% that education is important... but I`ve already did the whole high school bit and university bit.... Got two degrees under my belt and on to my third

Just out of curiosity, what are your degrees? And why do you keep going back?

<3 A Jakes Girl
<3 A Mother Effin Dave's Girl
<3 Post Whore
<3 'Stache Lover
<3 Harry Fan Club

http://headed-for-disaster.blogspot.com/

dani
Hedley Ambassador

Post by dani » Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:09 am

Finished The Hunger Games. unimpressed tbh. I don't get the fuss really. It was okay. I'll probably read the rest of the series anyways though :)

kate1013
Hedley Ambassador

Post by kate1013 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:25 pm

I was going to get the second book of the Fifty Shades series at my work (Atlantic Superstore) because we usually have a small selection of hit novels like that, but when I asked my co-worker if we sold any of them she said that we did have them, but they are actually band from the store. I guess the company (Loblaw) didn't approve of the content so it was taken off the shelves. It really peaks my interest in it now. Looking forward to actually starting to read it.
Hedley Shows To Date: 32