[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
chat.hedleyonline.com • View topic - Book Club

Book Club

Talk about almost anything you want!

Book Club

Postby mandyb7 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:43 pm

Talk about books! What ones do you recommend?
mandyb7
Hedley Ambassador

Re: Book Club

Postby icecreamgrrl » Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:12 pm

I recommend:

Twilight Series
Sookie Stackhouse Series by Charlaine Harris
House of Night Series by P.C Cast & Kristen Cast
~*Jenna*~
*Postwhore*
icecreamgrrl
Global Moderator / Hedley Ambassador

Postby Jessica » Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:20 pm

The Reader - Bernhard Schlink.
absolutely amazing book! I neeed to see the movie now. haha.
Thus far Revolutionary Road by Richard Yates is pretty decent too.
And Brave New World by Aldous Huxely
Jessica

Postby duckcowpenguin » Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:42 pm

i like
Night World books, i forget who they are by
and Vampire Kisses, they are by Ellen Schrieber or something like that :]
~Official Nose Toucher~
duckcowpenguin

Postby icecreamgrrl » Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:44 pm

~*Jenna*~
*Postwhore*
icecreamgrrl

Postby kelsie » Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:11 pm

Don't read Catcher In The Rye? Haha. That book was really hard for me to read, and I was really excited to read it too. So painfully slow and all Holden does is complain and you're like oh my gosh. However, I liked what I read of Jpod
kelsie

Postby jenna » Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:26 pm

hooray for this thread!

i'm resiting the urge to recommend the Twilight series because there's probably not a living species out there that hasn't already heard haha

and the Odd Thomas series, it's really great.

Has anyone read the giver? I got it the other day but haven't started it yet. It's really short, and I don't know why but that annoys me.
jenna

Postby lessthanthree » Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:44 pm

Can you not quote people on this board or do I just fail? Edit: I fail and was totally not logged in when I was reading this. Haha.

Kelsie: I AGREE. I effin -hated- Catcher. Everyone's all, "why? BEST BOOK EVER!" and I'm all, "NO." I want to punch Holden Caulfield in the face. Possibly more than I wanted to punch Bella in the face when I read Twilight. AND THAT IS A LOT.

Also where's your sig from and how is it possible I've never seen it?

Anyway. I recommend:
-Naomi & Ely's No-Kiss List by Rachel Cohn & David Levithan (for a teen fluff book, it has a lot of heart. I cried like three times. Both times I read it)
-Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist by Rachel Cohn & David Levithan (very different from the movie. There's a lot more interesting character development, especially with Norah & Tris)
-House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski (completely different. Well, from ANYTHING. This book will eff with your mind. And that's if you can figure out what the hell is going on. It's so good though)
-Only Revolutions by Mark Z. Danielewski (Most. Creative. Author. EVER. That's all I'll say)
-the Dexter series by Jeff Lindsey (Darkly Dreaming Dexter, Dearly Devoted Dexter, Dexter in the Dark, and Dexter by Design coming out in September but already out in the UK)

I read the Giver a long time ago. I remember it being really good.
lessthanthree

Postby mandyb7 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:59 pm

I agree about The Catcher In The Rye, omg I hated it soo much and I hated Holden even more, more than I have hated anyone in my life! Holden made me so angry!
But as hard as it was I finished the book and what surprised me the most was what I felt for Holden in the end.
I felt so sorry for him, so much so that I freaking balled my eyes out reading the end! My heart went out to him, I actually wanted to comfort him. Even thinking about it now is making my eyes well up.
That must say something about the writing.
mandyb7
Hedley Ambassador

Postby kelsie » Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:17 pm

kelsie

Postby Lu-05 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:31 pm

i said it in the old one, and i'll say it againn

it's a series, by Richelle Mead
the fourth book comes out in august
(the third book actually caused me to feel physical pain in my chest because of the way it ended. i NEED to know what happens next!)
and i seriously wish i was the main character, Rose.
(sounds like a stupidd title, i know)
Vampire Academy
Frost Bite
Shadow Kiss

Completely different from those ^
i also love jane austen books. the language is exquisite.
i've read Wuthering Heights by emily bronte a couple times
If you're into scary/mystery books Mary Mary was really good, although i cant remember the author right now...
i really liked World War Z (about zombies), aagain cant remember the author.

aaand, well i cant think of any more right now, bbut im sure ill be back (to check for books that i want to read AND to recommend some)
.DC . . . Post Whore . . . A Jake's Girl . . . young&stupid.
Lu-05
Hedley Ambassador

Postby jenniferr » Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:17 pm

I reccomend:

The Book of Negroes - Lawrence Hill
Angels and Demons - Dan Brown
A Painted House - John Grisham
As the Crow Flies - Jeffery Archer
all we are saying, is give peace a chance.
jenniferr

Postby icecreamgrrl » Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:29 pm

~*Jenna*~
*Postwhore*
icecreamgrrl

Postby melissa » Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:06 pm

I loooved Catcher In The Rye..

but anyway

Impluse, Crank, Glass, Burned, Identical ( all by Ellen Hopkins)

ANY book by Jodi Picoult, such as My Sisters Keeper, Nineteen Minutes, Harevesting the Heart, Mercy .. and others

Damaged by Cathy Glass
Scar Tissue- Anthony Kiedis
The Kite Runner

This Lullaby, Just Listen, Dreamland, This Summer,The Truth About Forever,Keeping The Moon ( all by Sarah Dessen)
"we are the speak UP"
tegan and sara - janurary 27 2010
melissa

Postby Krysta » Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:30 pm

Krysta

Next

Return to Other Shiz