Welcome to the NEW Hedley Forum!

Seeing as this is a new site with new features and an even newer board... there will be questions! so feel free to post them here.

Welcome to the NEW Hedley Forum!

Postby steve » Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:05 pm

Welcome to the NEW Hedley Forum!!

Before you get started, you will have noticed the big "phpBB" at the top of this window .. with phpBB coding having been incorporated into this Forum, all of our lives have been made MUCH easier!

Here are some helpful tips you might like to know before starting to post:

1) The coding in posts has been changed from HTML to BBCode; for you non tech-geniuses, that means that the code you would use to bold a phrase has been changed from:
Code: Select all
<b>your text here</b>
to
Code: Select all
[b]your text here[/b]
There's no need to use the shift key anymore to bold your posts! For some more BBCode tips and tricks, please click here!

2) For any administration needs, a list of the Administrator/Moderators can be found here!

3) If you'd like to add an avatar to your profile, it needs to be 90 pixels by 90 pixels and less than 6KB in size - also, you will need to have an "off-site link" to post your avatar to your profile. You can retrieve an "off-site link" by uploading your avatar to a website such as PhotoBucket.com or TinyPic.com.

How To Add An Avatar To Your Profile:
    1. Click User Control Panel below Board Index at the top-left on your screen.
    2. Click the Profile tab.
    3. Click Edit avatar along the left-side of your screen.
    4. Once you've copied the Direct Link from whichever website you've uploaded your avatar to, you can paste the link in the Link off-site text field.
    5. Click Submit.
4. On this Forum, the option to have a signature has been enabled! This allows you to post a phrase or a picture below your post each and every time - automatically! Please keep in mind that if you're wanting to post a picture to keep it a relatively reasonable size - if it takes up the entire screen, it will be deleted and you'll be sent a message by one of the Moderators.

How To Add A Signature To Your Profile:
    2. Click the Profile tab.
    3. Click Edit signature along the left-side of your screen.
    4. Once you've uploaded your picture to the website of your choice, copy the code that has [IMG] before the link and paste it in the text box.
    5. Click Submit.
5. Private Messaging has been enabled on this Forum as well!

How To Send A Private Message:
    1. Click the (0 New Messages) at the top of your screen.
    2. In the first text box at the top of your window, type a username then click Add. If you're not sure of what someone's username is, you can click Find Member and that will give you a search query to use.
    3. Type in your subject, your message and hit Submit - that part's fairly simple.
    4. As soon as you send your message, there will be a (1) beside Outbox - this means the user hasn't read your message yet. As soon as the user reads your message, the (1) will be removed and your message with move from your Outbox to your Sent Messages.
Also, once you get a reply, you'll see that there's an option to Forward to message to another user - this wasn't on any of the previous Forums! If you're wanting to forward a reply you've recieved to someone click Forward, complete Step 2 above and hit Submit - it's just like forwarding an email.

6. There's something new that's been added to this board called the Friend & Foe feature - if you select someone as your friend, it gives you quick access to communicate with them. Also, any posts made by a friend of yours will be highlighted. If you select someone are your foe, these user(s) will be ignored by default; posts by these users will not be fully visible however personal messages from yours foes are still permitted. Please note that you cannot ignore moderators or administrators.

7. You can now subscribe and bookmark certain threads if you feel the need to! At the bottom of a thread, you'll see this toolbar:

If you click on Subscribe Topic, you will be notified of every reply made in that thread. If you click on "Bookmark Topic", you're able to keep a record of which threads interest you - these are kind of like Favourites in your Internet Explorer.

How To Manage Your Topic Subscriptions/Bookmarks
    2. Click either Manage Subscriptions or Manage Bookmarks.
8. At the bottom right-hand corner of your screen, you'll see a button called Delete all board cookies .. this basically removes all cookies made from this website from your Internet's browser - cookies take up space on your computer .. not a lot of space but some! So, if you want to keep your internet running in tip-top shape, you should delete your cookies every once in a while - having the button there at the bottom of your screen just makes for easy disposal!
steve

Re: Welcome to the NEW Hedley Forum!

Postby jskaa » Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:52 pm

Thanks for the detailed description, Sir.

I kind of just skimmed through it and am quite honestly too lazy to search for details, but how do we post pictures? Same way as the most recent forum where we have to enable full html? Or...?
just breathe in, you'll be fine. i'm right here, by your side.
jskaa

Postby jan - brit » Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:38 pm

Jess, if you look at this other thread of Steve's he's included instructions how to post pictures.

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=29
(No need to read it all if you don't want to ;) .. just scroll down until you see the boys and you're there!)
jan - brit
Forum Administrator / Hedley Ambassador

Postby jskaa » Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:40 pm

Perfect, thanks Jan.
Wow, it's like I have slaves. Just have to ask a question and people jump to find answers! I could get used to this ;)
jskaa

Postby jan - brit » Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:59 pm

No problem .. and lmao, just know I'll draw the line at feeding you grapes ;)
jan - brit

Postby jskaa » Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:23 pm

jan - brit wrote:and lmao, just know I'll draw the line at feeding you grapes ;)

What about chocolate covered strawberries?
jskaa

Postby icecreamgrrl » Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:14 am

Is this forum permanent? Or are we eventually gonna get shipped back to the other? lol
~*Jenna*~
*Postwhore*
icecreamgrrl
Global Moderator / Hedley Ambassador

Postby janet » Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:31 am

icecreamgrrl wrote:Is this forum permanent? Or are we eventually gonna get shipped back to the other? lol

oh geez ... don't even! :lol:

HOPEFULLY this is it! We won't be getting "shipped back" to the most recent forum, if that's what you're asking. We've been through so many different forums now, what's one more? 8-)
janet

Postby icecreamgrrl » Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:29 pm

janet wrote:
icecreamgrrl wrote:Is this forum permanent? Or are we eventually gonna get shipped back to the other? lol

HOPEFULLY this is it! We won't be getting "shipped back" to the most recent forum, if that's what you're asking. We've been through so many different forums now, what's one more? 8-)

Yeah that's what I'm asking, cause I really wouldn't want to go back to the last one. lol
So is this one still run by Univeral? or...just fans?
~*Jenna*~
*Postwhore*
icecreamgrrl

Postby janet » Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:28 pm

icecreamgrrl wrote:
janet wrote:

Yeah that's what I'm asking, cause I really wouldn't want to go back to the last one. lol

This one is still connected to and run by Universal. With pulling the forum out of the rest of the hedleyonline site, it gives the Mods/Admins access to the features that actually run the forum. Now we don't have to keep bugging the Webmaster to do some of the "little" things that need to be done to keep the forum updated.
janet

Postby icecreamgrrl » Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:14 pm

janet wrote:
icecreamgrrl wrote:
janet wrote:

This one is still connected to and run by Universal. With pulling the forum out of the rest of the hedleyonline site, it gives the Mods/Admins access to the features that actually run the forum. Now we don't have to keep bugging the Webmaster to do some of the "little" things that need to be done to keep the forum updated.

Ah I getcha. Well I like this one A LOT more... :)
The colors are boring though haha
~*Jenna*~
*Postwhore*
icecreamgrrl

Postby littlemiss.hoggard » Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:50 pm

umm...well i've been on the old forum..and my username that i had on the other forum doesnt work on this one..soo i had to make a new account..its the same username but everything of mine has been deleted
anyone know how to get everything back??
i'm gonna go lick the back of my fingers and write down what they taste like
//UNITY
littlemiss.hoggard

Postby jan - brit » Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:38 pm

littlemiss.hoggard wrote:umm...well i've been on the old forum..and my username that i had on the other forum doesnt work on this one..soo i had to make a new account..its the same username but everything of mine has been deleted
anyone know how to get everything back??

This site and your account here, are completely separate from the one you had on the 'old' Hedley forum. That forum is scheduled to be shut down at any time now, but I just checked and was still able to sign in.

If there are posts etc that you were wanting to keep, you might want to head over there and see if you can save them, before the site goes down.
jan - brit

Postby mandyb7 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:10 am

um the old site and forum is still there.
mandyb7
Hedley Ambassador

Postby littlemiss.hoggard » Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:39 pm

i know.....whyy??

i still dont understand how to work this forum
i'm gonna go lick the back of my fingers and write down what they taste like
//UNITY
littlemiss.hoggard

Next

Return to Questions