The smallest Fan!

Seeing as this is a new site with new features and an even newer board... there will be questions! so feel free to post them here.

The smallest Fan!

Postby mumoffan » Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:16 pm

I was just wondering if a Hedley show is appropriate for an eight year old? Hedley is coming to town on her birhtday and she adores Jacob knows all his songs and wants to take guitar and singing lessons so she can be like him! Someone let me know PLEASE!
mumoffan

Re: The smallest Fan!

Postby lisakelly » Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:21 pm

It really depends on what you find appropriate - I know that during the current tour Tom does moon the crowd, so if you don't want your eight year old to see that, then don't take her.

Other than that, they usually keep the swearing to a minimum, so that's good.

The pushing can be pretty bad up front, so I'd definitely recommend you get seats a bit farther back.

Like I said, it's really up to you, but I know I've seen alot of 8 year olds at their shows before.

Avie & siggy credit go to Jan <3
lisakelly
Global Moderator / Hedley Ambassador

Postby HEDLEYroxMYsox » Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:22 pm

I would personally say yes. These days Hedley's shows are particularly family friendly. I went to a show during their spring tour and I was surprised to see so many young children. There were a lot of little kids sitting on fathers' backs. Of course, all the members of Hedley (especially Jacob) can be very unpredictable, so I can't guarantee PG, but lately their shows have been very appropriate and I think it would be an incredible gift for an 8 year old who loves Jacob and knows all the songs. And you'll enjoy it as well of course! :D P.S- I was 10 years old when I went to my first real concert- not too far off 8!
"Holding hands still makes me have butterflies and hot chocolate still warms my hands when it rains."-JWH
~*~Sarah Vanasse~*~
HEDLEYroxMYsox
Hedley Ambassador

Postby lisakelly » Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:25 pm

HEDLEYroxMYsox wrote:I would personally say yes. These days Hedley's shows are particularly family friendly. I went to a show during their spring tour and I was surprised to see so many young children. There were a lot of little kids sitting on fathers' backs. Of course, all the members of Hedley (especially Jacob) can be very unpredictable, so I can't guarantee PG, but lately their shows have been very appropriate and I think it would be an incredible gift for an 8 year old who loves Jacob and knows all the songs. And you'll enjoy it as well of course! :D P.S- I was 10 years old when I went to my first real concert- not too far off 8!

Hey, I think I saw you at that show! ;)

lisakelly

Postby HEDLEYroxMYsox » Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:28 pm

lisakelly wrote:
HEDLEYroxMYsox wrote:I would personally say yes. These days Hedley's shows are particularly family friendly. I went to a show during their spring tour and I was surprised to see so many young children. There were a lot of little kids sitting on fathers' backs. Of course, all the members of Hedley (especially Jacob) can be very unpredictable, so I can't guarantee PG, but lately their shows have been very appropriate and I think it would be an incredible gift for an 8 year old who loves Jacob and knows all the songs. And you'll enjoy it as well of course! :D P.S- I was 10 years old when I went to my first real concert- not too far off 8!

Hey, I think I saw you at that show! ;)

Haha, I think you may be correct! :lol:
"Holding hands still makes me have butterflies and hot chocolate still warms my hands when it rains."-JWH
~*~Sarah Vanasse~*~
HEDLEYroxMYsox
Hedley Ambassador

Postby jrexattack » Sat Sep 18, 2010 3:59 pm

In my personal opinion, the current tour should be fairly appropriate for your daughter...

The guys have a bit of a reputation for putting on crazy, unpredictable shows, and in the past this made for shows that were definitely better-suited to an older audience. But the current tour is much more scripted and family-friendly. Since they are back on the fall tour and playing the seated venues again at the moment, they have gone back to that routine. They make an effort not to swear on stage, and the focus is on the music rather than their antics.

Like Val (bombsaway) mentioned, there IS a moment when Tom moons the audience (during the campfire set, should you decide to take a conveniently-timed bathroom break ;)). The only other things that may be of concern would be a crotch-grab from Jake during Don't Talk To Strangers, the racy lyrics in that song, and one eff-word in Cha-Ching.

But overall, I think that your daughter would have an amazing time! They are so energetic and entertaining live, it would be one hell of a first concert! And since it's assigned seating, crowd roughness shouldn't be a problem. And it's fantastic timing with her birthday! If you do end up taking her, you'll have to be sure to let us know how she found it! :)
jrexattack

Postby jan - brit » Sat Sep 18, 2010 3:59 pm

I totally agree with what the other girls have said. These latest arena tours are 'All Ages', and the majority are seated. Language is age appropriate, even to the extent where Jake drops the 'f' word out of the line in Cha-Ching, they are very conscious that there may be children in the crowd. I wouldn't have had any worries about taking my kids when they were that age, as long as you are okay with what Lisa said about the 'mooning' (which is done very comedically, as part of a set) :)
jan - brit
Forum Administrator / Hedley Ambassador

Postby jrexattack » Sat Sep 18, 2010 4:30 pm

jan - brit wrote:I totally agree with what the other girls have said. These latest arena tours are 'All Ages', and the majority are seated. Language is age appropriate, even to the extent where Jake drops the 'f' word out of the line in Cha-Ching, they are very conscious that there may be children in the crowd. I wouldn't have had any worries about taking my kids when they were that age, as long as you are okay with what Lisa said about the 'mooning' (which is done very comedically, as part of a set) :)

No way - he does? I actually never noticed!
jrexattack

Postby Robin » Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:10 pm

jrexattack wrote:
jan - brit wrote:I totally agree with what the other girls have said. These latest arena tours are 'All Ages', and the majority are seated. Language is age appropriate, even to the extent where Jake drops the 'f' word out of the line in Cha-Ching, they are very conscious that there may be children in the crowd. I wouldn't have had any worries about taking my kids when they were that age, as long as you are okay with what Lisa said about the 'mooning' (which is done very comedically, as part of a set) :)

me either lol.

But I think it'd be a great experience for your daughter! They have gotten a lot more family friendly lately, which is nice, and my younger sister saw them when she was nine I think, and loved them. Aside from the occasional f-bomb in the dialogue at that show, it was fine. I don't think you can go wrong (:

<3 A Jakes Girl
<3 A Mother Effin Dave's Girl
<3 Post Whore
<3 'Stache Lover
<3 Harry Fan Club

http://headed-for-disaster.blogspot.com/
Robin
Hedley Ambassador

Postby bombsaway » Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:32 pm

Welcome the the Forum!

I have an eight year old daughter, so I feel very qualified to answer this one. She saw her first Hedley show at 6 and loved it. I took her this year but she got some kind of nasty flu during the opening act's set and her dad had to come get her (god forbid I miss the show!) - but up until the flu took her out, she was stoked. Her brother saw his first Hedley show at 10 and has been to 3 now. Neither of them have ever felt uncomfortable with anything they saw or heard. They always beg to go, but I usually travel to see the guys these days.

You might want to have her wear earplugs, and avoid the floor seats (she won't be able to see a thing).

The only downside of bringing your kid to a Hedley show as their first concert is that it will spoil them for any future non-Hedley shows. These guys set the bar pretty high!
bombsaway

Postby jan - brit » Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:09 pm

jrexattack wrote:

Yep, he kind of takes a big 'breath' in place of the word ..
jan - brit
Forum Administrator / Hedley Ambassador

Postby lisakelly » Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:23 pm

jrexattack wrote:In my personal opinion, the current tour should be fairly appropriate for your daughter...

The guys have a bit of a reputation for putting on crazy, unpredictable shows, and in the past this made for shows that were definitely better-suited to an older audience. But the current tour is much more scripted and family-friendly. Since they are back on the fall tour and playing the seated venues again at the moment, they have gone back to that routine. They make an effort not to swear on stage, and the focus is on the music rather than their antics.

Like Val (bombsaway) mentioned, there IS a moment when Tom moons the audience (during the campfire set, should you decide to take a conveniently-timed bathroom break ;)). The only other things that may be of concern would be a crotch-grab from Jake during Don't Talk To Strangers, the racy lyrics in that song, and one eff-word in Cha-Ching.

But overall, I think that your daughter would have an amazing time! They are so energetic and entertaining live, it would be one hell of a first concert! And since it's assigned seating, crowd roughness shouldn't be a problem. And it's fantastic timing with her birthday! If you do end up taking her, you'll have to be sure to let us know how she found it! :)

*Lisa ;)

lisakelly

Postby Barriefanz » Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:11 am

We were just at the show in Barrie last week and I took my 7 & 10 year old, yes, a couple of bad words, but nothing any worse then they hear anywhere else, we missed the mooning part, not on purpose, just happened.
Barriefanz

Return to Questions